January 11, 2008

Everything snow

Back again!I have to tell you, the last few days spent in Haines have been interesting, good and bad, and very full. This picture was taken on the ferry up to Haines from Juneau on a GORGEOUS day- wonderful day to be on a boat. Believe it or not, many pictures like this one were taken but due to operator error, this one turned out the best. :)
In just one week, we have: gone sledding on snow shovels, gone back to youth group, made a fancy halibut dinner, gone sledding on actual sleds and nearly killed ourselves (it's okay mom- we laugh about it now), met a new friend Sam who I now work with at Mountain Market, made banana and chocolate chip pancakes (my dream REALIZED), gone snowshoeing out to camp, watched Indiana Jones, had a fun time at choir, driven out the highway on the pastor's whim on a BEAUTIFUL day to see eagles and swans, then only a few hours later driven out to Letnikof Cove on the pastor's whim to see a pod of killer whales super close up, finally changed out of snow clothes after three days, had wonderful homemade baked potato soup and played games. Whew. Granted, most of these happenings have been due to our friend Ben's visit- we don't normally pack in this much fun to one week, but who knows...maybe we do now because of ALL OF THE SNOW. This picture is from our banana-and-chocolate-chip pancake breakfast before snowshoweing, the there's a pic or Kenny walking into camp. Then there is Bromley Hall, covered in snow, which is just a little bit different than when we're there in the summer. Kenny, Lori, Ben, and I flipped around in the snow outside my house, so there's Kenny and I submerged just beyond my front porch, which is the norm as far as snow level goes. The last few pictures are from our drive out the highway to see eagles and swans...breathtaking.
I realize that this post hasn't really told you much about anything except some adventures, or really even elaborated on them, but I'm just getting back into this and I at least wanted to share some pictures with you. There are plenty more where that came from, trust me. I've been realizing that being here is full of picture opportunities...all the time...everyday...and i wish you were all here to see everything.
Beware: this post is full of fun, which is how I wanted to get back into the blogging swing of things, but there is some other stuff going on in the meantime up here in Haines that I will share soon. While Ben is here we've been trying to pack in the sights and we're avoiding reality at the same time, which isn't bad, but there's some music Kenny and I are going to have to face pretty soon.
I hope you like the pictures- I'll be hopefully making a Facebook album of them all soon- and I miss you all. Very much. No amount of snow or sledding can compete with you. :)

6 comments:

JeNn said...

That last picture is absolutely breathtaking. You said it! Call me with you are ready to face the music, know that I've been there.

Sarah said...

i went snowshoeing for the first time in life this weekend. it was amazing. it would've been beyond amazing if i had been snowshoeing in ak with you though. talk about dreams realized... um, in other news, i miss you mightily, and, yeah, that's about it.

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!!!!!! How majestic God's creation is and how you captured it. Just fabulous. Those last 3 pictures of the landscape are to keep for me. I want to frame them. I am in awe. MMMMMMMMMMM, pure as the driven snow comes to mind. And....wow, crazy hair, there, daughter. I smile when I see that smile of yours light up a picture. Loved the green vest, too :-)
Hey, the pic of you and Kenny in the snow reminded me of snow angels....but, hmmmmmm, where are the wings??? It's good to have your blog up and runnin, and the short respite from reality is good for you. I will be praying over what is yet to come. You can bet your "snow boots" on that!!!
Warm hugs all around from ma.

Lily said...

GNAT. How long are you in Haines again? I still want to try and get up there to see you but it's going to take some serious scheming...

Lily said...

P.S. serious music? I have been out of the loop for too long...what kind of melody does this music have?

tonya said...

oh how i love and miss you! keep up the posts! i love to hear what's going on - know that i'm praying for you tons and tons!