February 6, 2008

Coffee Shop Barbie


Apparently that is what I am called behind my back at Mountain Market. One of our bakers, Jennie, confessed this to me yesterday after telling me to "promise not to get mad." She's the culprit, claiming it's just because I'm the only young blonde one who runs around acting, well, the way I do. I'm not offended, I don't think. I guess I should be, but she's really cute and no one could be offended by her. She sneaks me warm Snickerdoodles. However, I think Barista Barbie flows a bit better. :)
This news was also delivered to me on the day I received a raise for my "sunny disposition" and for the fact that "people enjoy working with me" and "I deserve it." I almost cried. I swear. The two head ladies conferred and decided I should have one. :) It still makes me smile. Needless to say, Mountain Market is going well.
A lot of fun stuff has been going on in Haines, like the Family Game Night at Haines Presbyterian, the Dance Dance Revolution tournament at the Library, Taco Tuesday at the Elk's, and so on. Haines can be hoppin'. Kenny and I actually found ourselves torn between two places to go last Friday night (crazy, I know). We did, in fact, end up at the Dance Dance Revolution tourney at the library because Zack, a camper, asked us to go. He has crazy DDR skills and it was admittedly hilarious watching him go up against Kenny. I, on the other hand, did my best but only ended up hurting my foot by the last song and got really hot.











Another fun night was had when we visited another camper, Nicole. Nic's blind and hard of hearing, along with other challenges, but loves to play games. We played Go Fish and listened to a bunch of her jokes and had a great dinner with her parents. It was a pretty great time and we're hoping to make that a more regular thing.

Our Thursday night Game Nights are explanding, which is pretty cool. It's evolved into a dinner/dessert night, too. This week I think someone suggested Banana's Foster, to which I think I reacted excitedly, to say the least. In the coming weeks, there have been requests for Creme Brule and sloppy joes (not even by me!). Basically we have a good time hanging out over food and playing some game for a few hours. Finally, a little place for young adults in Haines. Not exactly the way we first imagined it, definitely less stucture, but God seemed to have other plans, I guess. :)
Alright, time to wrap it up. Everything is pretty normal. I'm catching up on my Gilmore Girls, reading whenever I can, attempting to get on the radio, and trying to circulate. Lots of ideas for the kids are in the works (Bible studies, movie nights, sledding days, etc.) and will be planned as early as tomorrow when we meet with several pastors in the community. YAY and FINALLY! The ball is officially rolling.
Keep up the prayers. LOVE YOU
Over and out.

4 comments:

JeNn said...

Nat-Nat-- So glad to hear things are going so well. Sorry I haven't called. Tane passed away a week or so ago (do you remember her? Carlos' really close friend, had cancer?) Anyway, we've been spending a lot of time with Mike and the kids now trying to be there for them and what not. I'll give you a call in day or so when we get back from the Island. I do agree Barista Barbie would flow better. Too bad kenny doesn't work there, then he could be the Coffe SHop Ken! HAHAHAHA... i'm good! Anyhoo--- blessings and my love. I'm still praying for the situation up there to be God-led. Tell k-fizzle I said word.

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!!!! Beautiful mountain. Possibly Mt. Rapinski??? When I read your blog it makes me smile. Barbie, huh????? That cracked me up. Remember when Linda Irish would refer to me as "Barbie", right up there with also being called June Cleaver by her? I think I like the sound of Barista Barbie for you. Maybe it really is that "sunny" disposition you are generating up there that is grabbing everyone's attention. Lord knows with all the snow, sun is probably welcomed :-) So you may become a radio personality?? The different hats you are wearing is quite impressive, my dear. Sounds like you are definitely finding places that God wants you to be, especially touching the lives of many. He ALWAYS makes a way if you continue to trust. Carry on Sweetpea!!!
Love you huge like all outdoors,
ma

Lily said...

Gnat I love you...seriously...can you have visitors in Alaska? I think it would be good for my soul.

I am Kate Maxwell said...

still waiting for another story..........