October 11, 2007

Schizo's and Bruises


**DISCLAIMER: Posting pictures has been rough. I can't even describe the frustration when it comes to lack of consistency of where pictures are, who's computer, internet connections...my word. Here are a few, but others will be on their way in another post. For now, enjoy what I can give.
Welcome, welcome everyone. Nice to see you again. I have much to report, so kick off your shoes, put up your feet, knock back a nice tall glass of milk and read on.

Here’s an entertaining image for ya: over forty kids, three counselors, one director, and four hours to cram in a “mini-camp.” Who's the schmuck who came up with that crazy idea? Last Saturday we decided to gather the kids in Haines for one last hoorah at camp before we close it up and it was a whirlwind. Kenny lost his voice within the first hour while leading a huge group game in very bright pants, I lost a bit of mine while leading a bobbing for apples Interest Group (ew, btw), and only one kid cried after getting a ball in the face. It was madness! We’re in Juneau this week and putting on a similar shindig for the Juneau campers, only this time it’ll be an overnight on Friday ‘til Saturday (happy birthday to me). And we’re down to just the three counselors…hee hee hee. We visited the high school the other day to put the word out, but let’s be honest- we’re really praying the group isn’t too huge to the point where we give each other Kayak Face across the room while fifty kids run rampant around the church we have so graciously be allowed to use. Let's just hope the paranoid schizophrenic who's been known to break into and wander the church doesn't decide to stop in and say hello... :) We were also able to meet the dearest woman in the world lastnight at a potluck...her name is Ellen and if I could adopt her I would. Southern, rock solid in faith, 85 years old and calls me "lovely." She made sure we came to a Bible study lastnight and she called us today at the church to invite us to a Bible study at her house. I just love her, precious lamb. I wanna be like her when I grow up.

I’d also like to report that I went for a run the other day. Ahem. No, I didn’t say “I chewed gum and hay.” Yeah sure, I’ll say it again. I WENT FOR A RUN THE OTHER DAY. You get it that time? That’s right- I got a bee in my bonnet and took off running on a gorgeous day in Haines. You will see a picture to your left of my view from the road I ran on, near the cannery by camp. And no, this picture does not do the view justice, but that’s pretty much true of any picture I take in Alaska. The mountains spread far beyond to the left and right and beautiful fall trees line the other side of the road. Glorious. With Relient K as my soundtrack and no one else around for miles, I ran my little heart out and it felt GOOD. Afterward I helped out with the volleyball team at the high school, then went on to play volleyball at the Open Gym that night- my body was totally confused by all of the activity and rebelled…after receiving one-too-many spikes from a very large man, I noticed that my arm had swelled up and it looked like I had half of a tennis ball growing next to my wrist by the end of the game. It was sweet. Don’t worry mom- my host mom (Bonnie) put some frozen corn on it when I got home and all was well. Now I’m just bruised up and down the inside of my forearms. Hardcore.

The snow line is creeping down the mountains and just may be to Haines by the time we get back from Juneau (Monday). This picture is of Mt. Ripinsky, the mountain in town that acts as the weather channel: once there's snow on Mt. Ripinsky, the first snofall is two weeks away. Let the knitting and hot chocolate drinking begin!! Also when we get back to town, we're getting a young adult service started, getting the Friday Night Flix rolling, continuing with the youth group, and moving into our new house. Phew. In fact, I'd like to point out that I have, in fact, been living out of hefty bags since the end of July and a hiking backpack since the end of May. WHAT??? I haven't unpacked my toiletries bag since leaving for Alaska the first time...talk about nomadic. This girl's gotta settle down, for pete's sake. Hang some pictures. Have her socks in a drawer. You know, little things like that. :)

Some prayer requests: I'm interviewing for a job at the local coffee mecca, Mountain Market, when I get back into town. I just pray that I will be hired (which would be AMAZING) and that the scheduling isn't too complicated. They aren't known for their flexibility and with that I'm doing, I'm going to need it. Also, just for Friday night and Saturday- let us not lose our minds.
LOVE LOVE LOVE to all!

5 comments:

Lily said...

yay Gnat! I love you! I love your blog! in fact I check it every day...here's praying you get that job because how cool would it be to make coffee for people in the AK. I don't know why it seems so cool, but it does. By the way, I FINALLY sent my little green card back...so I'm "officially" a supporter of Gnat.

JeNn said...

Happy Birthday.... and I love you... and I hope you enjoy your 21st birthday... again! It's never too early to start lying about your age... one of the many things my mother taught me.... that and wrestling bears in mud never ends well.

Court said...

CHACO said....

i loved the hee hee hee. killed me. i miss you like toast misses butter. like my wrist misses a hair band. thats how naked i feel without you- like my wrist has no hair band.

i LOVE you

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...your "bee in my bonnet" comment just warmed my heart....sounds so like me, and, made me think I'm almost right there with you *sigh* Good on you for running to clear the old cobwebs outta the noggin'. I love Bonnie and she's definitely my kind of mom. Although my vegetable of choice for injuries has actually always been frozen peas, but hey,to each there own and a little vegetable variety isn't so bad, right? And Ellen, what can I say. You just stick close to that godly woman. She sounds just like what God has provided for you to glean wisdom from. Loved the precious lamb part....all our elderly should be referred to as precious, they have earned the title : ) Glad the socks, and you have finally found a home and a place to rest your weary bones. Just remember "snug as a bug in a rug".
HUGE love and hugs sent your way sis, and missing you tons!!!!!!!
ma <3

the pommers said...

Nat,
Hey your sis in law gave me your address. I heard Andrew called to see if you'd watch the boys =) our blog is www.thepommerfamily.blogspot.com
check them out, and how big they are getting. We miss you girl hope to see you in december when you come home!

Alise